About University Development Foundation
University Development Foundation (UDF) is a non-profit foundation established to leverage the entrance of Warwick University to the Sacramento region. This historic alliance between one of England’s top research universities and the Sacramento region presents opportunities to improve and transform lives through education and targeted investment.
Our partnership with Warwick University
UDF is partnering with one of England’s top research universities to develop a world class 600 acre campus in our region. Warwick is widely regarded as a Top Ten British university, and emphasizes programs in science, math, and business development. The university is well respected for its contribution to the UK’s economy, most recently establishing a partnership with Jaguar Land Rover to create one of the largest automotive research centers in Europe.
Founded only 50 years ago, Warwick University is uniquely experienced in building a world class research institution in a short time. While celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year, Warwick was named the “University of the Year” by The Times and Sunday Times.
“The university will celebrate its 50th anniversary next year and in its first half century has established a formidable reputation on the national and international stage as a powerhouse of teaching excellence and business-focussed research.” -The Times and Sunday Times (UK)
“The resources and land donated by our family and their partners to the University Development Foundation have one purpose; establishing a world class research university in the Greater Sacramento region to improve the lives of our families and communities.” -Kyriakos Tsakopoulos, Co-Chair UDF Board of Directors
Warwick at a glance:
- Warwick enrolls over 23,000 students in a full range of undergraduate and post-graduate courses
- Ranked 7th in the UK for the quality of its research (2014 Research Excellence Framework)
- 87% of Warwick research is identified as “world-leading” or “internationally excellent” (2014 Research Excellence Framework)
- The world’s 13th best university as identified by a survey of international employers (QS World University Rankings)
- Generates $333 million dollars of economic activity in Coventry, England
- Ranked as the world’s third best university young university founded under 50 years old (QS World University Rankings)
Interview with Sir Nigel Thrift
Sir Nigel Thrift is the leader of Warwick University and Co-Chair of the UDF Board. He is a strong advocate for Warwick in California and has generated enthusiasm and excitement for the project from the ground up.